Last Name :
First Name :


"We form a community!"

Home - Print - Bookmark

Welcome, Guest  

Antoine Pépin-dit-Lachance...

Born around 1632, son of André Pépin, merchant in Bourville Le Havre and of Jeanne Chevalier (de Bourville).  He was christened on April 10, 1636 at Notre-Dame du Havre, Normandy.  Documents led us to believe he might have migrated from France to Quebec around 1651 or 1652. The first documents relating his presence in Quebec date back to January 5, 1655 where François Gaulin and himself received a land concession from governor Louis d'Ailleboust. Since a new migrant had to work for at least three years in New France before obtaining the right to a parcel of land, we believe he migrated before 1655.

Antoine worked as a domestic in Coulonge. Antoine later received this domain from the owner. During the four years before his marriage, Antoine lived in Coulonge where he worked the land and fished, accumulating some assets.

Later on, about four years later, he moved to l'Île d'Orléans, he is 23 years old. On June 24, 1659 he acquires a land from Denis Guyon, for 300 pounds, between the lands of Jacques Asselin and Jacques Bilodeau.

He married Marie Teste, age 21, (born in 1632), daughter of Jean and Louise Talonneau of Notre-Dame-de-Cogne de La Rochelle, on November 24, 1659, in Notre-Dame, Quebec. Together they lived in Ile d'Orleans, a small island in the middle of the St. Lawrence River in Quebec. In 1666, he possessed a land of five acres wide facing the St. Lawrence River, by 72 acres long. Antoine and Marie had 12 children: Ignace, Elisabeth, Jean, Antoine, Jacques, Marie, Gabriel, Gervais, Paul, Joseph, Geneviève and Antoine-Charles.

Antoine Pépin-dit-Lachance got himself involved in the first lawsuit in Canada on February 9, 1664. A judgment from the Sovereign Council of New France mentions a lawsuit by Louis Couillard de L'Espinay against Jacques Billaudeau and his neighbor Antoine Pépin-dit-Lachance. The plaintiff asked that the defendants be ordered to return to him a moose which they had taken and that Claude Guyon, his partner, had actually killed. According to Couillard, Billaudeau and Pepin had taken and removed the carcass. Jacques admitted that he had indeed taken a moose in the woods; he drove it down to the bank where Guyon got a shot at it. As for himself, he was content with the head, but he did not understand what the plaintiff meant when he stated that he only made his accusation the next day. In the end, the Council decided to send the parties out of court and to settle the suit without costs. (from the Story of Jacques Billaudeau).

Antoine Pépin-dit-Lachance died in 1703, at age 64, in Ste. Famille, Montmorency, Quebec, Canada and was buried in Ste. Famille cemetary, Quebec, Canada. Marie Teste, died in 1701, at age 63, and was buried at the same cemetary.

click on map to enlarge / sélectionner la carte pour élargir


This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2024.